Image of Region of Waterloo Community Services logo

Application for Community Housing

Please note: Applications will not be processed until all required information and documents have been received. If you do not have the required documents while filling out this application online, please fax, mail or drop them off to the 1st floor Welcome Space at any of the following locations: 235 King St. E. in Kitchener, 99 Regina St. S. in Waterloo, or 150 Main Street in Cambridge.

The Region of Waterloo Coordinated Access System follows the Ontario Human Rights Code to provide equal treatment and opportunity for all Ontario residents. The Region recognizes that an inclusive climate is essential to the future prosperity and social well-being of this province.

Document checklist for your application

Before you start the application, please review this document checklist. You will be required to include some of these documents with your application. Save your incomplete application at any time and come back later to upload your documents before submitting. 

Please do not submit original documents with your application.

Proof of status in Canada

  • Canadian birth certificate (both sides)
  • Canadian citizenship document, 8 ½ x 11 paper form (both sides)
  • Native Status card (both sides)
  • permanent resident card (both sides)
  • proof of application for permanent residency status
  • record of landing
  • convention refugee documentation
  • refugee claimant form, and/or
  • Valid Canadian Passport

Proof of legal name (if different from the name on your proof of status)

  • Please provide a copy of ID/documentation that verifies your legal name. (e.g. Driver’s License, Social Insurance Card, Marriage License, etc.).

Proof of birth date (if not shown on your proof of status document)

Proof of income and assets

For each household member 16 years of age or older, include:

  • Proof of all sources of income and the amount; 
  • Proof (with the value) of any assets currently owned OR any sold or transferred within the last three years; and
  • Proof of full-time attendance, if in school.

Proof of residential property you own

If you own any property you could live in all year round (even if not in Canada), you must include a completed Declaration of Intent to Sell Property form. You must also include:

  • An appraisal; 
  • A mortgage statement; or
  • Other documents for the property to prove its current value and your current equity.

Proof of custody or access documents

If you do not receive Ontario Works (OW ) or Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP), you must provide the following for all children listed on the application:

  • Documentation specifying the specific custody/access provisions
  • Legal document (dated within the last 3 years) – i.e. Court order, Separation agreement, Sworn Affidavit signed by both legal parents AND/OR a copy of the Canada child tax benefit (CCTB) and Ontario child benefit (OCB) notice that shows the applicant’s name & address and lists the names of the child/children